Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Bacon Swiss Garlic Bread

Ooooh I love a good cheesy garlic bread, but I also love bacon....like really really love bacon.

2013_04020008

Have been meaning to try this bread for a while but just never got around to it, until tonight.  I figured it was the perfect pairing to my Savory Beef over Noodles.

I made a big 20 inch french bread loaf, but froze half of it for another meal as it would be just too much for our family of 4.

2013_04020007
Bacon and Swiss Garlic Bread
Adapted from:  Taste of Home


1 loaf (1 pound) French bread (20 inches)
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup chopped green onions
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
Garlic powder to taste
5 slices Swiss cheese
5 bacon strips

Cut bread into 1 inch slices, leaving slices attached at bottom.  In a bowl, combine butter, onions, mustard and garlic powder;  spread on both sides of each slice of bread.

2013_04020002

Cut each slice of cheese diagonally into four triangles;  place between the slices of bread.  Cut bacon in half widthwise and then lengthwise;  drape a piece over each slice.

2013_04020004

Place the loaf on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.  Bake at 400 F for 20 to 25 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

Yield:  10 servings

If you're freezing for later, prepare as above, then wrap tightly in foil and freeze.  I don't know exactly how long it will last, I'm assuming as long as normal frozen garlic bread.  I will be using mine next week when I make another pasta dish so it won't sit in the freezer for too long.

2013_04020005

2 comments:

  1. Bacon on bread!? Is there anything better!!?? I should think not!! YUM!!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my....GOODNESS!! Yum :) So funny, I bought bacon and swiss at the store today not knowing how I was going to use it, just to have on hand. Now I know! Thanks again Sandra!

    ReplyDelete