Thursday, March 07, 2013

Good Ol' Banana Bread

Banana Bread

When I have bananas that are starting to go mushy, I either make muffins, or whip up some banana bread loaves.

My children absolutely love them, they can easily go through a whole loaf just by themselves.

Banana Bread

One of the other things I love about it is that this bread freezes beautifully, so I can make quite a few and pop them in the freezer for when we need it again.

Banana Bread

There are so many variations out there, seems that everyone has their own true and tried recipe.  I have tried a few over the years, but there is one that I always go back to, it's written in a scraggy piece of paper filled with grease marks and fingerprints.

Banana Bread
Good Ol' Banana Bread


2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup toasted coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, beaten
6 Tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup of buttermilk
3 ripe bananas, smashed (use a fork to break it down)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a bread/loaf pan well.  I like to do it like my greatgrandma taught me, which was to use a bit of butter, and then flour.

In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, walnuts, baking soda and salt.   In a separate bowl combine the smashed bananas and the rest of the ingredients.  Add to dry ingredients and fold in until everything is well combined.

Pour into the prepared pan, spreading the mixture evenly.  (I either make two normal size loaves, or 3 mini loaves)

Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Banana Bread


No comments:

Post a Comment