Monday, August 20, 2012

Cucumber Kimchi

There's this Korean BBQ place right around the corner from our base.  We usually go and get their Beef Bulgogi which is amazing, but quite pricey, so it's something we don't do very often :)

Aside from the Bulgogi, their Kimchi is phenomenal too, but by far, my favorite is the Cucumber Kimchi.  Yum!

I have wanted to make my own since the first time I tried it, so I asked around and one of my Asian friends told me how she makes it.   If all else fails, you could also use the Kimchee Base which you can find in little bottles at your local Asian Food Stores.

I make it both ways and it's equally delicious. 

Cucumber Kimchi

Cucumber Kimchi

3 Cucumbers
1/2 Bundle of Chives
1T Minced Garlic
1t Minced Ginger
1T Chopped Green Onion
2/3 Cup Korean Chili Powder
1t Salt
1T Sugar

1. Cut the cucumbers into 4cm lengths.
2. Slit-cut the cucumber sections lengthwise, leaving about 1cm on end and make 4 slits.
3. Add salt to water and boil water.
4. Put the cucumbers in a bowl and pour hot salty water in it.
5. Drain water after 30 mins.
6. Chop chives into 1cm length.
7. Add minced garlic, minced ginger, chilly powder, sugar, and salt to chives and mix them well.
8. Fill the slit-cut cucumbers with the mix and stack the stuffed cucumbers in a container.
9. Keep the cucumber container outside in a room temperature for a day.
10. Move it to the refrigerator and serve it cold.

Cucumber Kimchi

No comments:

Post a Comment