Monday, January 23, 2012

Comeback Sauce

What is it? For those that have never heard of it or tried it?
Comeback sauce (sometimes spelled kumback or cumback) is a distinctive dipping sauce and salad dressing often seen in the cuisine of central Mississippi. Similar to Louisiana remoulade, the base of the sauce consists of mayonnaise and chili sauce (or some approximation of that combination).  The origin has been credited to The Rotisserie, a Greek restaurant that was located in Jackson, Mississippi.

Several Jackson, Mississippi restaurants serve their own variations of the sauce and many offer bottled comeback sauce.

Comeback Sauce

When I first heard of this sauce last year, I wondered if it was just a glorified easy peasy fry sauce, and wasn't too keen on making it, but then I came across a few recipes for it and it definitely was not a simple fry sauce, I mean there was other stuff in there that I could tell would really give it a good flavor.

Go ahead and give it a try and let know what you think, oh and the longer it sits in the fridge, the better it tastes, I guess because the flavors really get a chance to come together.

Anyway, here is the recipe, I always have a jar and honestly it doesn't last very long because the kids eat it with fries, with chicken nuggets, with fish sticks, they even dip their pizza in it. It's really good, OH and it's great on salad too :)

Comeback Sauce

Comeback Sauce

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon mustard
Few dashes of hot sauce (depending on how hot you like it)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
black pepper (I just eyeball it)
1/4 cup light olive oil
Juice of half a lemon

Mix all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into a mason jar, close the lid and keep in the refrigerator.

Comeback Sauce

BTW, I've made it before without the chili sauce and it's still delicious....and there have been other occasions that I didn't have lemons on hand and left the juice out and it was still really good too :)

10 comments:

  1. YUM! Definitely need to make some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh will have to try this! We like to mix ketchup & mayo for a sauce on fries but this sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Central Mississippi and comeback sauce could be labeled as its own food group down here! It goes great with everything! You'll find it on salads a lot. But it's also served with any fried. And when you live in the deep south, EVERYTHING is fried!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh joy! I just found your blog (again) in my email files and decided to "come back" myself... this will be perfect for our burger night this week! SO, so, so very glad I stopped in.
    blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooohhh yummy. I'm making this today! Great addition to the condiments in my frig.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my husband will go crazy for this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. We (the kids and I) absolutely LOVED this. My husband is not a big fan of mayo, so he refrained. I could see us using this on lots of things though! So glad I tried it and am thinking of just eating it with a spoon.... later on.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm from Mississippi too and it is served a lot here! I love it and it goes great with almost anything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to make this for the kids during school vacation next week! Not a fan of the mayo ingredient, is there a healthier substitute? Sour cream perhaps???

    ReplyDelete