Saturday, December 17, 2011

Peppermint Patties

Oh wow, one of my favorite sweets to have and now I can make them at home.

2011_12170019

So I had seen these a while ago in one of my Taste of Home cookbooks and then a few days ago, my sweet friend Jen had tried them and said they were really good.  That was all I needed to decide that I had to make them today.

I'm going to give you the recipe from Taste of Home, though my friend Jen tweaked it a little, she made a big slab of the patties instead of the actual round little ones.  I thought I would go ahead and try the actual round patties but let me tell you, it was a little time consuming and not as easy as it seems, so next time, I'm just going to follow what Jen did and make it a big slab and just cut them into squares instead :)

It seemed to all go downhill for a minute, hubby and I were just struggling to pull it together LOL  Moral of the story, stick to the original recipe or Jen's, don't try to take shortcuts.  By the way, my notes are in red.

2011_12170009

Perfect Peppermint Patties

Ingredients

3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract (I used only 2 and it was more than enough)
1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup evaporated milk
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Add milk and mix well. Roll into 1-in. balls and place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Flatten with a glass to 1/4-in. Cover and freeze for 30 minutes.

(I spread mine into a pan like Jen did)

2011_12170005

(Then I cut out little circles, next time I'll either keep it in a slab or follow the recipe lol)

2011_12170006

(Hot chocolate meets cold filling and proceeds to melt cold filling which makes it really hard to dip into the said melted chocolate, which then becomes a big mess trying to pour onto the filling. Lesson learned, just do what recipe says LOL)

2011_12170010

In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip patties, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 5 dozen.

2011_12170017

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 67 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.

1 comment:

  1. These look so good!! And yeah.. knowing me, I would leave them in a big slab too! lol will be one I have to try.. but might be next year. lol

    ReplyDelete