Friday, August 19, 2011

Galinha de Fricasse (Chicken Fricassee)

Without doubt, one of my favorite meals from my childhood.  I remember when my grandmother would make it, I would get so giddy at the dinner table  because I knew I would be enjoying this amazing sauce that I would dip my bread into.

Do you dip your bread into gravies/sauces?  I swear Portuguese people are all about the sauce or the “molho”.  It just screams out at  you and you immediately reach for the bread to sop it all up…..Lordy I’m making myself drool here.  HA!

Galinha de Fricasse 

So back to this dish.  You’re probably sitting there staring at the monitor and thinking “that’s all great but what on earth does Fricassee even mean?”.

Well Fricassee is basically a stew and though it sounds confusing and gourmet with a name like that, believe me, it’s extremely easy to make, the only intimidating part of it is the end but if you follow the recipe you’re be fine.

I will also tell you that the Fricassee that I’m used to and that I’ve had my whole life not only at home but in Portuguese Restaurants too is very different than the ones I’ve found here in the States…..so I’m giving you my recipe for how I was taught how to make it.

Galinha de Fricasse

Galinha de Fricassee (Chicken Fricassee)

1 lb chicken (you can use thighs, legs, tenders or whatever you wish)
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
olive oil
fresh parsley
2 eggs
lemon juice from half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste


In a pot, boil the chicken until done. Set aside.
In a pan (I used my cast iron one), drizzle a bit of olive oil, add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes just until the onion turns transparent, don’t burn the garlic though.

Galinha de Fricasse 

Add about a handful of chopped parsley and stir well.

Galinha de Fricasse 

Add a cup of the chicken stock, stir well, add the cooked chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Galinha de Fricasse 

Let it simmer for about 10 minutes for the flavors to combine. In a small bowl beat the eggs with a fork, add the lemon juice and combine well.

NOW….when you’re ready to make the sauce keep in mind that this is a very quick step and you need to stay on top of it, this is the intimidating part because you don’t want the egg to cook at all.

Pour the egg mixture in slowly and stir continuously, do NOT let it boil, just stir and cook for a few seconds until you see it start thickening. IMMEDIATELY turn the stove off and pour the chicken into a serving dish, preferably not warm or hot. You want to stop the cooking process and not allow the egg to continue cooking. You should be left with a very creamy yummy gravy.

Galinha de Fricasse 

Serve with rice or mashed potatoes


© 2006 - 2012 Full Bellies, Happy Kids - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment