Friday, July 03, 2009

Swedish Meatballs

It's been quite a while since I've shared a recipe with ya'll hasn't it?

I've been so busy lately and also just returned from a two week vacation, hence my absence, but I returned with a yearning for cooking and baking so I'm sure you will start seeing a lot more frequent posts here on this ol' cooking blog of mine.

Tonight's dinner is one of those comfort meals, it just makes us go "yep, we're definitely home".


2009_07030016

Swedish Meatballs


1 lb ground beef
½ lb ground pork
¾ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup milk
1 large egg
1 small onion, chopped
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp pepper
3 Tbs flour
¾ cup water
1 cup half and half cream
1 tsp beef bouillon
½ tsp salt
parsley for garnish.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In large bowl, mix beef, pork, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, onion, ½ teaspoon salt, nutmeg and pepper. Shape mixture into 1″ balls.


2009_07030010


Place meatballs in ungreased jelly-roll pan.

2009_07030011


Cook, uncovered, for about 20 minutes (until light brown). Remove meatballs to serving dish; keep warm.

2009_07030013

Place 3 Tablespoons of the meatball drippings into a saucepan. Stir in flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in water, half and half, bouillon and ½ teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute.

2009_07030015

Pour gravy over meatballs; sprinkle with fresh parsley.

Serve meatballs over hot, cooked noodles.

Servings: 6

2009_07030019

Printer Friendly Recipe

3 comments:

  1. I have cooked Swedish meatballs and my family LOVES them, but I have only had them mixed with the package mix. I have not made them in a while because I hate cooking with stuff from a package. I am going to try this for sure!! I am very glad I found this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, I'll be trying this one. Just a note though, your Printer Friendly Version does not want to open for me, it tell me I have Insufficient Privileges... the story of my life! I do love the idea of a printer friendly version though and hope other cooking blogs follow your lead! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I luv meatballs and those look super yummy!

    ReplyDelete