Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Calamari Beer Stew

I absolutely love Calamari but it's not often that I make it, mainly because it's one of those things that if you don't buy already cleaned and ready to cook, it is time consuming. 

But once in a while, I don't mind. I came up with this recipe earlier because what I originally had in mind was to fry the calamari rings, but I didn't feel like fried food and wanted something more of a stew, so this is what I came up with. So good! 

DSCF0198

CALAMARI BEER STEW

 

1 lb calamari clean and cut into bite size pieces 
1 medium onion, sliced 
olive oil 
1 packet mushroom/onion beef soup 
1 bottle of beer 
salt and pepper 
paprika 
garlic powder 
1 small can of tomato sauce 
 
 

In a large skillet add a little bit of olive oil, the calamari and the onion. Cook for a few minutes, then add the remaining ingredients and cover. 

Simmer on medium to low heat for about 45 minutes or until calamari is tender. 

DSCF0193 

Keep an eye on it and stir it once in a while, making sure there's enough liquid in there, if need be, add a little bit of water at a time. 

When the calamari is ready, check to see if it's too watery, if it is, you can just dissolve some cornstarch in a little bit of water, add it to the skillet and stir constantly until the gravy is thickened. I served mine with Garlic mashed potatoes and I also sprinkled some parsley on top. 

DSCF0196

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but nobody here likes calamari especially me. Kae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw you over at The Front Porch and want to say that this looks AMAZING!!!!!!

    I'll have to check out more of your recipes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete