Friday, May 26, 2006

PALMIERS!!!

Growing up in Portugal I can remember eating TONS of these. They were by far my favorite pastry. I have spent years looking for the right recipe to make them for my family, and just recently found it through Ina Garten's cookbook. Ina Garten is, of course, The Barefoot Contessa. I LOVE watching her on the Food Network and when I saw that she had this recipe in her book I literally jumped for joy. You guys should give these a try, they are extremely easy to make and SO good.

So here goes:


ELEPHANT EARS
Palmiers

makes: about 24

1 pound puff pastry dough (2 rectangle sheets)
1 tablespoon soft butter
1/2 cup superfine sugar

Thaw the puff pastry if frozen. Roll one sheet of dough on a lightly floured work surface to 1/4-inch thick. Spread butter over surface of pastry.


Sprinkle with one half of the sugar. Roll second pastry sheet to the sam>e size as first. Place on top of first. Sprinkle remaining sugar over whole surface.


Fold as sketched bringing the ends to within 3/4 inch of each other. Repeat this folding as shown.

Slice into 1/4-inch- thick "palm leaves".

Put leaves on an ungreased baking sheet.


Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. Turn cookies over with a spatula.


Continue baking until golden brown. Transfer palmiers on a rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.



Let me know if you try these, they are just soooooo tasty, and my kids love them. Wow do they bring back great memories :)


Click on thumbnail below to download the printable recipe card:

1 comment:

  1. What do you mean by superfine sugar? I've never heard of this. Thank you

    ReplyDelete